Back to Visa homepage
The Dependent Visa is intended for the spouse or minor child of a foreign national residing in Japan on a Work or Student Visa. Applicants intending to apply for a Dependent Visa should in principle obtain a Certificate of Eligibility before applying for the visa. This Certificate of Eligibility is issued by the Ministry of Justice in Japan. It can be obtained by the inviting Japanese employer/spouse or parent in Japan through the local immigration office in Japan on your behalf.
Please find below a list of the documentation required to support your visa application. For information on how to submit the application, please see our 'How To Apply' section.
April 1, 2017
- Valid passport
- One New Zealand standard passport sized photograph, taken within the last six months
- One completed visa application form (sample)
- Original Certificate of Eligibility, plus one photocopy
- Visa fee (if applicable) –due when the visa has been issued
- Please DO NOT staple documents together or use staple.
- Additional documentation may be required.
- No documents other than your passport and Certificate of Eligibility will be returned.
- Temporary Visitor's Visas will take a minimum of five working days to be processed. There is NO urgent visa service.
- Possession of a visa does not entitle the bearer to enter Japan upon arrival at port of entry if he or she is found inadmissible.
- Applications open three months before the intended date of travel.
- For further information, please see the FAQ section or contact us.