- Do I need a visa to enter Japan?
Please check here to see if your country has a visa exemption agreement with Japan. If your country is not on this list, you will need a visa to enter Japan. Please note that anyone intending paid activities in Japan will need a visa regardless of their nationality.
- Can I apply for a visa at the Consulate-General of Japan in Auckland?
Applicants must hold a valid long-term New Zealand visa (e.g. resident, work, student etc.) and must be residing in the top half of the North Island (Northland, Auckland, Waikato, Bay of Plenty Regions and Ruapehu District of Manawatu-Wanganui Region ONLY) to be eligible to apply at the Consulate-General of Japan.* If you live in Canterbury, please apply at the Consular Office in Christchurch. If you live elsewhere in the country, please apply at the Embassy of Japan in Wellington. Applications from those in New Zealand on a short-term visitor visa will not be accepted.*
*Exceptions are made for those applicants holding a Certificate of Eligibility.
- What supporting documents should I submit for my visa application?
Please return to the visa homepage and select the relevant type of visa to see the list of required documentation.
- How much does a visa cost?
Please see here for information about visa fees.
- How long is the processing time for a visa?
Please see here for the processing times for visas.
- How long is the validity of the visa?
Visas are valid for three months from the date of issue, meaning you must enter Japan within three months of the visa being issued. The length of stay in Japan will be decided on a case-by-case basis based on your intended schedule. Working Holiday visas are valid for one year from the date of issue with a length of stay of one year from your first entry into Japan.
- Can I apply for a visa by post?
Visa applications must be submitted by the applicant in person. If extraordinary circumstances make it impossible for you to come in person, please contact us.
- Do I need to make an appointment to apply for a visa?
You do not have to make an appointment to apply. Simply bring in your application sometime during our visa hours (Monday to Friday : 9:00-12:00 or 13:00-15:30 only)
- How long does my passport need to be valid in order to enter Japan?
Japan does not have any regulations relating to passport validity, so long as your passport will be valid until after you leave Japan.
- The visa application form asks for my "I.D. No. issued to you by your government". What is this?
The governments of some countries give their citizens individual I.D. numbers. However, many countries (including New Zealand) do not. It is Okay to leave this section blank if your country does not have such I.D. numbers.
- The visa application form asks for a guarantor/reference and inviter in Japan. What should I do if I do not have one?
If you are not being invited to Japan, you may leave this section on the form blank. It is not necessary to have a guarantor in every case.