Dependent Visa

Back to Visa homepage

The Dependent Visa is intended for the spouse or minor child of a foreign national residing in Japan on a Work or Student Visa. Applicants intending to apply for a Dependent Visa should in principle obtain a Certificate of Eligibility before applying for the visa. This Certificate of Eligibility is issued by the Ministry of Justice in Japan. It can be obtained by the inviting Japanese employer/spouse or parent in Japan through the local immigration office in Japan on your behalf.

Please find below a list of the documentation required to support your visa application. For information on how to submit the application, please see our 'How To Apply' section.

Required Documentation

1.   Valid passport

2.   One passport size photograph
          * must be taken within the last 6 mohths
          * New Zealand standard passport size OR 45mm x 45mm
          * please use a proper qulaity photo.  Do not scan and print onto paper and do not use staples

3.   One completed visa application form (sample)
          * please leave a section blank if you are unsure or if it doesn't apply to you

4.   Original Certificate of Eligibility plus one photocopy

5.    Visa fee (if applicable) –due when the visa has been issued

  • NOTE:
    • Please DO NOT staple documents together or use staple.
    • Additional documentation may be required.
    • No documents other than your passport and Certificate of Eligibility will be returned.
    • Visas will take a minimum of three working days to be processed. There is NO urgent visa service.
    • Possession of a visa does not entitle the bearer to enter Japan upon arrival at port of entry if he or she is found inadmissible.
    • Applications open three months before the intended date of travel.
    • For further information, please see the FAQ section or contact us.