Extension of Validity of Re-Entry Permit

Back to Visa homepage

A foreigner holding a valid re-entry permit for Japan can apply for an extension of this re-entry permit if they are unable to re-enter Japan during its validity period due to unforeseen circumstances, such as illness or work/study commitments.

Applicants must hold either a New Zealand passport or a valid long-term New Zealand visa (e.g. resident, work, student etc.) and must be residing in the top half of the North Island (Northland, Auckland, Waikato, Bay of Plenty Regions and Ruapehu District of Manawatu-Wanganui Region ONLY) to be eligible to apply at the Consulate-General of Japan. If you live in Canterbury, please contact the Consular Office in Christchurch. If you live elsewhere in the country, please consult the website of the Embassy of Japan in Wellington for required documentation and information on how to apply as it may differ.

Required Documentation

  1. Valid passport (if the re-entry permit you wish to extend is in an old, expired passport then you must submit this passport also)
  2. Application to Extend Re-Entry Permit form
  3. Residence Card (在留カード) or Certificate of Alien Registration (外国人登録証明書)
  4. Documents verifying the applicant's inability to return to Japan at this time (e.g. medical certificate stating the applicant is unfit to travel, employer's letter stating the applicant is unable to travel due to work commitments, etc.)
  5. Fee - due when the extension has been issued

Please note:
  • Additional documentation may be required.
  • No documents other than your passport and Residence Card/Certificate of Alien Registration will be returned.
  • Applications to extend your re-entry permit must be made before it expires.
  • Re-entry permits can only be extended for a maximum of one year past the date of expiry.
  • We are unable to extend re-entry permits granted under the Special Re-Entry Permit System (みなし再入国許可)
  • In the case of a passport containing a valid re-entry permit being lost overseas, please see the following link (Japanese only): http://www.moj.go.jp/ONLINE/IMMIGRATION/16-5.html
  • For further information, please see the FAQ section or contact us.